…”At the age of five, I expressed my innate interest in creating when I asked my parents for a camera for Christmas”…
Born in New York to Portuguese parents, João Carlos is and all-round fashion, advertising and fine art photographer and director moving between New York and Lisbon. Although he expressed an interest in having a “real” camera at the age of five, João’s artistic explorations began with painting and fine arts which led him to study at Ar.Co institute of art and visual communication in Lisbon.
Nowadays he works freelance for advertising agencies, magazines, fashion apparel and beauty companies all over the world. With a strong technical background he creates wonderful imagery and video with a great variety of styles, as well as clean commercial images and portrait photography revealing the attitudes and feelings of his models.
One of the highlights so far in his photographic career came in 2010 when he won the prestigious Hasselblad Master award. In 2019 he was nominated for European photographer of the year in two separate categories Portrait and Fashion.
João works continuously on his fine art photography: “The Portuguese Gineger Project” being one of his most recent portrait projects. Projects like that bring together the artistic and technical skills of João and show his versatility and creativity as a professional photographer and artist.
- 2019 FEP European Photographer of the Year Award – Finalist in Portrait category and Fashion category
- 2019 Insties Gerador Best Portrait Nomination
- 2019 Qualifications APPImagem 8 Merits in Photography + Distinguished Photographer Award + 2 Merits Video
- 2018 PX3 Silver Award Portrait + Silver Award Pets + People’s Choice Award
- 2018 WPC Team Portugal
- 2017 WPC Team Portugal
- 2016 PX3 Silver Award + Honorable mention
- 2016 WPC Team Portugal
- 2015 QEP European Qualified Photographer Fashion
- 2015 WPC Team Portugal
- 2014 Awarded the medal off cultural merit by the City of Caldas da Rainha .
- World Photographers Cup Team Portugal 2ed Place
- 2013 World Photographers Cup Team Portugal 3ed Place
- 2011 Communication Arts award of Excellence Art Director
- 2010 Hasselblad Masters Award
- 2005 / 2003 VII Bienal de Fotografia da Moita / VII Photography Biannual Award of Moita – Honorable Mention, Moita, Portugal
- 2001 XI Bienal Internacional de Arte de Vila Nova de Cerveira, Portugal
João’s client list includes advertising agencies, magazines, fashion apparel, and beauty companies such as:
Nike, Avon, Pfizer, Staples, HP, Vodaphone, Barclays Bank, Ogilvy, Mccan Erickson, Universal Music, Emi Records, Wella Hair, Schwarzkopf Hair , Thevi Cosmetics , Merhon Make up .
Infiniti , Sandisk, Pfizer, , HP Printing, MTV, Banif Bank, Ogilvy Barcelona, FactoHair, Schwarzkopf Hair, Thevi Cosmetics, Throttleman, Flip Apparel, Le Plume, Elite Models, DXL Models, L’Agence Models, Avon, Vodaphone,
Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams, Global Models, The Artist Group, Cabo TV: Mozambique and Angola, MoviePlay, Jessica Rose,
Flip Apparel NYC, Staples, Nstyle, Wallpaper, Kurv, Dilema, Eclectic Magazine, Disfunkshion, Apollo, Umbigo, Numero, Six degrees magazine, DP Arte Fotografica, W25, Emerge magazine, Blink,
Dif, Connecticut Home & Gardens, Modern Homes, Architect, Iconography Magazine, Series, Mccan Erickson, Brandia Central, Webdote, Corbin PR,
Most recently, João’s work has appeared in numerous publications and magazines namely:
Elle, Forbes, UP TAP INFILGHT MAGAZINE , Kurv, Chaos Magazine, Eclectic Magazine, Dilema, Wallpaper, Nstyle Magazine, Umbigo Magazine, Numero Magazine, Blink Magzine, W25 Magazine, Iconography Magazine.
João’s work has been featured in several magazines and TV Programs worldwide such as:
BCC UK, Portugueses sem Fronteiras, Direct Arts Magazine, FotoVideo, Victor by Hasselblad Magazine, Photoshop Australia magazine, O mundo da Fotografia Digital, DP Arte Fotografica, PH Magazine, Composition Magazine Israel,British Journal of Photography and Professional Photographer Magazine, Plum TV Miami, Caracol TV Columbia, RTP international and RTP 2.
In João’s continuing role as a guest speaker, he has been invited to speak at many prestigious events over the last decade including:
the Hasselblad stage, Sandisk stage and Koylab at photokina in Germany, Hasselblad Studio opening in London, Hasselblad , FOCUS events in Columbia and Brazil, BES Art and Finance, Petcha Kutcha Lisbon and IADE Creative University he has been a speaker for Sandisk at MWC 2014 \ 2015 \2013 , Computex 2013 Sandisk Taipei . He has spoken at Salon da Foto Paris and at the World Photographers Cup in France WPPA Asia 2014 .
- 2018 – “Macabrology” – Black Sheep Galery, Lisbon
- 2016 – “SHILIN NIGHT MARKET – DISCOVERY A STREET FOOD PARADISE IN TAIPEI ” BY JOAO CARLOS at GAT ROOMS HOTEL
- 2013 – I am bunny at the Black sheep gallery Lisbon
- 2011 “Love Tragadies” Castelo São Jorge, Lisbon / “A Maior Exposição Fotográfica do Mundo” /
- American Circus in Britain”, Espaço Santa Casa
1998: “Earth e Terra ” Museum Vasco P. da Conceição Maria Barreira, Bombarral(PT)
- Sandisk Extreme Team
- Profoto Legend
- Fujifilm X Photographer
- Koy Lab Ambasador
- G – Team member
- Zhiyun Ambasador
- Westcott Top Pro
- ThinkTank Pro Team
- BlackRapid Ambassador
- Gloryfy Ambassador
- 2019 – Kranj Photo and Film Festival, Slovakia
- 2019 – APPImagem Fundação Dr. Antonio Cupertino de Miranda
- 2019 – APPImagem, Museu do Movel, Paços de Ferreira
- 2017 – Fuji World X Photographers, Czech PhotoCenter, Prague
- 2016 – “L’Eté des Portraits” exhibition in Bourbon – Lancy France
- 2011 “Hasselblad Masters” Galeria da Boavista Lisbon
- 2010 “International Biannual of Art & Industrial Design” of Marinha Grande / “Hasselblad Masters” Visual Gallery at photokina / “Hasselblad Masters” the Print Space London / “Foco” Casa Sinfin Gallery, Colombia / “Hasselblad Masters” vaults at Kunstkasteel (Art Castle) Woerden Kasteel, Woerden-Centrum, The Netherlands / “Made In Cuba” Jadite Gallery NYC / “Hasselblad Masters”
- 2009 “Hasselblad Masters” The Demask Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark / “Hasselblad Finalists”, Hong Kong / Milk Gallery at Milk Studios NYC
- 1999 Galeria Sec. XVII, Leiria / Galeria Respublica, Santarém / Akhenaton Gallery – Lisbon
- 1998 V Prémio de Pintura Almada Negreiros, in collaboration with the Fundacion cultural Mapfre Vida, Palácio dos Pestanas,Porto / :Y, Grego Gallery,Lisbon
- 1998 Arte Rouca Gallery, Marinha Grande(PT)
- 1995 Lagos Biannual – Bienal de Lagos, for Institute Portuguese of Museums
- 1994 Um Olhar sobre a gravura Japonesa, for the Oriente Foundation at Museu de José MalhoaCollections representationsMuseu Vasco P. da Conceição Maria Barreira, Camara Municipal do Bombarral(PT) / Banco Espirito Santo / Camara Municipal de Óbidos / Private collectors world wide
Take a look at my portofolio or send me a message for more information about my work as a photographer and videographer: