…”At the age of five, I expressed my innate interest in creating when I asked my parents for a camera for Christmas”…
Born in New York to Portuguese parents, João Carlos is an Advertising, Fashion and Portrait Photographer and Film Director currently based in Lisbon Portugal. At the age of five, João expressed his innate interest in creating when he asked his parents for a camera for Christmas. Upon receiving a box like toy camera, he kindly thanked them but gave it back, pointing out that it did not have a flash and wanted a real one.
Though he expressed this interest in having a ‘real’ camera at the age of five, João’s artistic explorations began with painting and fine arts which led him to study at Ar.co Institute of Art and Visual Communication in Lisbon, Portugal.
João ran and co-owned a production house, Milkman Studio, in Lisbon for seven years from 2002, which catered to the the needs of both large and small clients from the advertising, fashion and music sectors.
His work has also extended into video, both as director and director of photography and has worked on numerous music videos and television commercials in both Europe, the USA and Africa.
One of the highlights of Carlos’s photographic career came in 2010 when he won the Hasselblad Masters Award,a prestigious recognition in the industry, honoring the best in both established and rising photographic talent.
João’s client list includes advertising agencies, magazines, fashion apparel, and beauty companies such as Nike, Avon, Pfizer, Staples, HP, Vodaphone, Barclays Bank, Ogilvy, Mccan Erickson, Universal Music, Emi Records, Wella Hair, Schwarzkopf Hair , Thevi Cosmetics , Merhon Make up ., Infiniti , Sandisk, Pfizer, , HP Printing, MTV, Banif Bank, Ogilvy Barcelona, FactoHair, Schwarzkopf Hair, Thevi Cosmetics, Throttleman, Flip Apparel, Le Plume,
Elite Models, DXL Models, L’Agence Models, Avon, Vodaphone, Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams, Global Models, The Artist Group, Cabo TV: Mozambique and Angola, MoviePlay, Jessica Rose, Flip Apparel NYC, Staples, Nstyle, Wallpaper, Kurv, Dilema, Eclectic Magazine, Disfunkshion, Apollo, Umbigo, Numero, Six degrees magazine, DP Arte Fotografica, W25, Emerge magazine, Blink, Dif, Connecticut Home & Gardens, Modern Homes, Architect, Iconography Magazine, Series, Mccan Erickson, Brandia Central, Webdote, Corbin PR, among others.
Most recently, João’s work has appeared in numerous publications and magazines namely Elle, Forbes, UP TAP INFILGHT MAGAZINE . Kurv, Chaos Magazine, Eclectic Magazine, Dilema, Wallpaper, Nstyle Magazine, Umbigo Magazine, Numero Magazine, Blink Magzine, W25 Magazine, Iconography Magazine.
João’s work has been featured in several magazines and TV Programs worldwide such as BCC UK, Portugueses sem Fronteiras, Direct Arts Magazine, FotoVideo, Victor by Hasselblad Magazine, Photoshop Australia magazine, O mundo da Fotografia Digital, DP Arte Fotografica, PH Magazine, Composition Magazine Israel,British Journal of Photography and Professional Photographer Magazine, Plum TV Miami, Caracol TV Columbia, RTP international and RTP 2.
In João’s continuing role as a guest speaker, he has been invited to speak at many prestigious events over the last decade including the Hasselblad stage, Sandisk stage and Koylab at photokina in Germany, Hasselblad Studio opening in London, Hasselblad , FOCUS events in Columbia and Brazil, BES Art and Finance, Petcha Kutcha Lisbon and IADE Creative University he has been a speaker for Sandisk at MWC 2014 \ 2015 \2013 , Computex 2013 Sandisk Taipei . He has spoken at Salon da Foto Paris and at the World Photographers Cup in France WPPA Asia 2014 ,
- 2019 FEP European Photographer of the Year Award – Finalist in Portrait and Fashion
- 2019 Insties Gerador Best Portrait Nomination
- 2019 Qualifications APPImagem 8 Merits in Photography + Distinguished Photographer Award + 2 Merits Video
- 2018 PX3 Silver Award Portrait + Silver Award Pets + People’s Choice Award
- 2016 PX3 Silver Award + Honorable mention
- 2015 QEP European Qualified Photographer Fashion
- 2014 Awarded the medal off cultural merit by the City of Caldas da Rainha .
- World Photographers Cup Team Portugal 2ed Place
- 2013 World Photographers Cup Team Portugal 3ed Place
- 2011 Communication Arts award of Excellence Art Director
- 2010 Hasselblad Masters Award
- 2005 / 2003 VII Bienal de Fotografia da Moita / VII Photography Biannual Award of Moita – Honorable Mention, Moita, Portugal
- 2001 XI Bienal Internacional de Arte de Vila Nova de Cerveira, Portugal
- Sandisk Extreme Team
- Westcott Top Pro
- 3 Legged Thing Prom Team
- Koy Lab Ambasador
- G- Team member
- Fuji X Photographer
- ThinkTank Pro Team
- BlackRapid Ambassador
- 2016 – “SHILIN NIGHT MARKET – DISCOVERY A STREET FOOD PARADISE IN TAIPEI ” BY JOAO CARLOS at GAT ROOMS HOTEL
- 2013 – I am bunny at the Black sheep gallery Lisbon
- 2011 “Love Tragadies” Castelo São Jorge, Lisbon / “A Maior Exposição Fotográfica do Mundo” /
- American Circus in Britain”, Espaço Santa Casa
1998: “Earth e Terra ” Museum Vasco P. da Conceição Maria Barreira, Bombarral(PT)